Can I have some advice about buying a Solid Silicone Baby?

Miscellaneous, general, anything really!

Can I have some advice about buying a Solid Silicone Baby?

Postby Leona » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi all, hope you are all ready for Xmas! My New Years Resolution is to save for a custom made full body solid silicone baby and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give. I've joined a forum dedicated to silicone babies but the forum is as dead as a dodo!

What should I look for?
What should I ask the artist?
Can you recommend an artist?
Is it risky to buy from an overseas artist?
How are solid silicone babies different from most Reborns? Texture, care needs, weight etc

What do I need to know!!!!!??

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received. Merry Xmas xx :yahoo:
Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can I have some advice about buying a Solid Silicone Baby?

Postby selenabest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:09 pm

I think that they are a gimmick.. yes alot of work goes into them. the painting is different from reborns made from vinyl kits. it is more like staining. the rooting isn't very long term as the hairs are just dug in the silicone which is a lump of rubber. As you should know it breaks down depending on the use of course.. it starts flaking, splitting, snapping & the texture dries & crumbles in all fairness it is one heck of a lot of money for shorter term fun. Then this is a big consideration. maggie had one to re-root and i don't think either one of us was impressed!! xx
selenabest
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Angeldreams » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Is it the full bodied ones like the one below they are very expensive l like how real they look but not sure if l would pay that kind of money for one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-FULL-BOD ... 56479b4287
Angeldreams
Expert
Expert

Postby NALAH49 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:59 am

They are very real looking and yes very expensive, i first seen the baby Janika and fell in love straight away, but when i seen the price of them well :cry: as i really wanted one to reborn and for my keeping as they are so lifelike, but i can dream lol :rofl: HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS AND ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE FOR 2012 FROM OUR HOUSE TO ALL OF YOUR'S XXX
NALAH49
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Angeldreams » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 pm

you have a lovely christmas to Nalah xx
Angeldreams
Expert
Expert

Postby Leona » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Thank you ladies for your replies - I really appreciate your guidance as I know you are all very experienced in these things :good: I've shown these replies to my other half and he immediately had doubts regarding the paint issues. This is disappointing to hear but I'd rather know the truth as I realise how expensive they are, I am willing to pay the money but not if the doll will wear out quicker. I want this reborn to be a baby substitute as I am desperately broody and have many tears because I can't have children of my own due to disability :( I want to have a baby to cuddle and dress up every day. I had a reborn before but after a while I had issues with her realism - her cloth body etc. But she was a real cutie and I did have feelings for her, so much so that I often had a cry when I held her (now I sound like a crybaby!!! I don't spend all day crying honest!!!!) :lol: Maybe I was expecting too much from a doll?!
Maybe I need to rethink things and accept that the reborn with the cloth bodies are the way to go - they are really cute and cuddly.
Does anyone else have any negative points about solid silicones I should consider? I really appreciate your honesty Selena, thank you xx
Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby NALAH49 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Selina is right It really is hard painting the solid silicone dolls and it would need real patience and a lot of work, but in my opinion i think the cloth bodies are better, as you can get the realism and weight that you want each of your reborns to be, as every baby is not the same weight :lol: and with a reborn you can put a tummy plate on to make it more realistic in showing, and selina is 100% on the rooting of the hair it would'nt last long as you can't glue the hair on the inside with the solid silicones as with a vinyl reborn the hair is glued on the inside for minimum hair loss. I really have changed my mind from them i would prefer to just hang in there and get a kit that really gets to me so i could reborn and keep for myself, there was a kit that i really liked a while back but i can't remember the site it was on it was called Kevin and i really fell in love but i forgot to keep the site it in my favourites :x anyway sorry for babbling on, Nalah xxx
NALAH49
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby pixiepot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 am

youll actually find silicone is one of the most dureable materials you can find.. most silicones will most likely out-live our great grandchildren.

the only silicones that wont last is those that have had certain chemicals added to them. you will find most if not all newer silicones are made with the best materials. the most dureable is platinum silicone. but the ladies are right they are so expensive

but in my opinion worth the money, they will last much longer than a reborn doll. the silicone is solid so when the hair is rooted it is *self sealing* but will at some point need re-rooting......but so do alot of reborns.

What should I look for? platinum silicone
What should I ask the artist? what type off silicone the doll is made from, what has been used to paint it, has it been sealed,does the doll come with any sort of guarentee should teh paint start to rub or any other problems that may occur
Can you recommend an artist?i can reccomend a few!!!let me know what you are after full silicone??solid with cloth body?
Is it risky to buy from an overseas artist?not attal but do keep in mind if you buy from the usa you will have custom fees when the doll arrives in this country,also make sure you pay via paypal not as a gift,and make sue the seller insures your parcel for the full amount! you may want to avoid customs but if the doll is lost or damaged and the item isnt insured you get nothing
How are solid silicone babies different from most Reborns? Texture, care needs, weight etc>>(the older silicones are soft but the newer silicones are almost like marsh mallows)some can feel slightly tacky/sticky but most have a matte finish to them and wont have a shine or stick. i woudnt say any specific care needs apart from gently cleaning any dust off. the full bodied babies will be very heavy.

were you considering buying a silicone kit? if you were i wouldnt bother :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: silicone is extremely hard to paint! and should you make a mistake you will have to sand the silicone back<<something you dont want to do. so a finished doll is much better.

anything else youd like to know please ask ive owned a few, rooted several for clients also. so ive seen a bit of a range xxx
pixiepot
Elite
Elite

Postby Leona » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks Pixiepot, it's good to hear more opinons about silicone babies. I'd heard platinum silicone is the best and am willing to pay what they cost as I have a 'baby fund'! I ideally want a solid full body silicone girl baby. I've seen some videos on Youtube and they look amazing - check this out, this is what I want! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncWivoKGPE

It's nice to be reassured that silicones have improved over the years as I'm sure the techniques of reborns have. Again I really appreciate every view here and I can assure you that I will not be rushing into this as it's very important to me. If you could recommend an artist Pixiepot I would be grateful, maybe they have a website I can check out?

If I don't catch you before, have a great Xmas holiday!

Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Leona » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Did anyone watch the video link I supplied above? Can anyone recommend a UK artist who does those type of dolls? Are you all ready for Xmas? :mrgreen:
Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby pixiepot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:15 am

hi leona just cheked this post i did reply but it doesnt seem to be there :oops: perhaps i didnt hit the send button.

shes gorgeous huh. from what i hear romie babies are the best. you have to contact her and ask to put on a list so when a baby does come up youll be notified ,from what ive heard its a bigggg list.

another fantastic artist is clair taylor but again youll have to email her her dolls are so in demand right now.

youll love janika! but im afraid theyre sold out and big bucks!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: one day il own a baby from her(il sell a kidney!)

http://www.clairetaylordolls.com/

melissa mccroy has some preston alexander babies left as far as i know hes a full bodied silicone and very cute :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsLGw4r3Yo

now if your just curious to see what silicone really feels like! you can always visit me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: i have a head and some damaged limbs(i use them for practise painting) or you can buy an extremely cheap silicone!>>>see next line

ashton drake recently bought out a silicone sculpted by michelle fagan , im sure she is around 150 pounds so a bargain price.

http://www.ashtondrake.com/products/301 ... doll-.html

failing that you have jennifer sussman shes a fantastic artist and her silicone is beautiful!

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=272289
oh and ofcourse you have julie molloy again a biigggg waiting list but her dolls are adoreable!
just trying to rack my brains... :rofl: :rofl:

please see links il try think of some more... i think most are overseas unfortunatly... are you looking for a full bodied silicone or just the cloth body version? if your just looking for one with a cloth body you can pick one up on the secondary market at a very good price xxx

hope you have a fantastic christmas any help you need just shout xxxx
pixiepot
Elite
Elite

Postby Leona » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Wow what alot of info! Thanks very much pixiepot :ok: I'll have a good look at all those links soon, I'm quiet excited to see!
I don't want a cloth body, I've had a doll before and although she felt lovely to cuddle I want a more realistic look next time. I would love to come and squeeze your silicone head :rofl: but it may be better if I go to a doll fair. I hope there's some coming up next year?

Thanks for all your help and advice. Merry Merry Xmas! x
Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby pixiepot » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Leona wrote:Wow what alot of info! Thanks very much pixiepot :ok: I'll have a good look at all those links soon, I'm quiet excited to see!
I don't want a cloth body, I've had a doll before and although she felt lovely to cuddle I want a more realistic look next time. I would love to come and squeeze your silicone head :rofl: but it may be better if I go to a doll fair. I hope there's some coming up next year?

Thanks for all your help and advice. Merry Merry Xmas! x

:rofl: :rofl: your welcome! id love to one day own a full bodied silicone theyre beautiful! i hope some of the info helps they are in such popular demand , its dissapointing when an edition is sold. but things can only get better with better more realistic sculpts all the time! :0)xx

merry christmas hope you and your family have a wonderful day hugs nic xx
pixiepot
Elite
Elite

Postby Leona » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:38 pm

One more question for anyone in the know to answer - I appreciate every opinion.

Does cuddling a doll with a solid silicone body feel as realistic as a reborn with a cloth body? I remember cuddling my last reborn, Ellie, and I did like the way the limbs flopped and the body was soft and squidgy. With a full body of silicone will the doll feel squidgy? Would it maybe better to have a cloth body with silicone limbs and head?

OK, I realise there's more than one question here but I am prone to waffling :rofl:
Leona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby nikkienoodles » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Leona,

Did you get a silicone baby the end? I saw one of the Romie babies on ebay a few weeks ago...It was quite exciting watching the auction, she must be going to a very good home!

I am very new to reborning and do not know very much about the vinyl reborn process however I have researched and practiced with platinum silicones. I too am interested in the differences as I am in the process of sculpting my first baby to produce a full body silicone baby and would like him to be as cuddly as possible.

I just wondered if you managed to find one and if so, how you are getting one with her?

Nikkienoodles x
nikkienoodles
New Recruit
New Recruit

Return to General Chat.