Weighting, what should i use?

Usually the original vinyl body is replaced with a soft stuffed and weighted body. What do you use in your bodies?

Weighting, what should i use?

Postby mcdaid81 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Everyone,
I looking at buying my weighting materials and am baffled, i dont know weather to buy poly pellets, glass granules or micro glass granules, heavy virgin fibre or normal fibre, also how much of everything do you need per doll, im looking at bags of 5kg of each but only really want to buy enough for 2 dolls to start off with. (incase im just totally crap at reborning lol).

Thanks in advance for your help

Luv
Susannah
xsx :?
mcdaid81
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RosePetal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Susannah.
5kg of each is loads. great in the long run but if you want to try first, i would get smaller quantities if it's just for 2 babies.
1 kg of fiberfill is more than enough for 2 reborns. i've stuffed 3 and still got some left.
Personally, i use micro fine glass beads/granules for the limbs - 2 kg should be enough for 2 babies - i used glass beads in a sac in the body and head - 2-3kg for 2 babies? (all depends on size of baby)- i also use baby fat in bum and tum area (do not use in limbs or have contact with vinyl) maybe 2kg for 2 or more babies.
Sometimes i use both glass beads and polly pellets in the sac in the body, it just depends on the size and the weight you want to achieve.
Also, don't be too worried about finishing the doll and then taking it all apart again coz you're not happy with the weight or feel. i've done that!! it does take a bit of practice. i go through lots of cable ties coz i'm constantly filling, picking them up, squishing, weighing, undoing, refilling and so on!! :shock:
Just remember 1kg is 2.2lbs so try and think of a weight you want your baby to be and balance that weight into the limbs, head and body with all your ingredients (weighting stuff :D )
Emma x
RosePetal
Elite
Elite

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi honey,
I used to use poly pellets but now Im on the small glass beads. Alot of reborns use the squishy pellets AKA baby fat in the body go give the babes the squeeze and flop factor and poly pellets or glass beads in the limbs and head. Personaly I dont like the micro glass as it is fiddly and gets everywere and it drives me mad but that is and individual choice.
I brought 2kg of polly pellets and it did a 19 and a 17 inch baby so 5 kg should be more than enough for 2 babys, One thing to remember if you are doing a small baby individual poly pellets and baby fat are biger and lighter than glass. You can fill a smaller space but get the desired weight if you use glass.
What im always stuck on is how to distibute the weight, how much weight should be in each limb in relation to the torso. I have tryed cutting up the kids and weighing each body part and weighing my own head and no wiser so if there is anyone with advice I to could use some. Tarnia xx
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby mishy4t1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:29 pm

wow Susannah am I glad you ased that question and I'm especially grateful for Emma's reply being so indepth :shock: I never realized how much goes into it.I knew about the different things that go in and where but the fact I might want to take it apart again never enterred my head :cry: I must order some more cable ties :lol:
mishy4t1
Super Elite
Super Elite

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:37 pm

I no when im not wanted :(
No I didnt think about spare zip ties and I could have done with them tonight so good advice . Tarnia
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby RosePetal » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Sorry guys!! :oops:
I do get a bit tooo enthusiastic with my replies :oops:
As for taking it apart - i'm just a fussy bugger!! :lol: :lol: If it doesn't feel nice to cuddle i get out the cable cutters!! :twisted:
RosePetal
Elite
Elite

Postby mishy4t1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Ah Tarnia your advice is great too :!: but you listed it while I was typing out my reply I'm very slow with my two fingers :lol:
Sorry if it looked like I was missing you out Chuck :?
luv
Mish xxx
mishy4t1
Super Elite
Super Elite

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Ok mish I forgive you. :lol: Emma theres nowt wrong with wanting a dam good cuddle. Are you bothered with ends of the cable ties being sharp coz i hate feeling the ties but i dont no how i can improve the ends. I have used a few gizmos but none make to much difference. Tarnia
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Il give it a try, ta bab. Tarnia xx :D
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Julie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:59 pm

I have used the file on a pair of nail clippers before, that seems to file them down quite well
Julie
Expert
Expert

Postby mcdaid81 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Thanks for all your replies and help guys :D, much appreciated, It just completely baffled me as i went onto the tinkerbells website and was like, Have it bitten off more than i can chew lol.

Ill order 2 kg of each then to get started, crikey i really should order my kit lol, Ive fallen in love with marly-jo has anybody seen her???
xsxsx
mcdaid81
Veteran
Veteran

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:10 pm

order the weighting but dont get it from the tinkerbells website as you could not be finishing that baby till end of the year. You could be one of the lucky one and get your order in one peice and on time but is a bit of a lottery. Look on the tread titled tinkerbell creations ad read through to get a good supplier, I think is in general section . LOL Tarnia
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby mcdaid81 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Tarnia, Thanks for the heads up lol.
ooo ive found another company www.distinctive-reborn-supplies.co.uk their prices seem good as well and good selection :D

xsx
mcdaid81
Veteran
Veteran

Postby buttercupbabies » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Yeh I think they are a new shop. I havent tried them but your right the stuff they sell seems nice and not a bad price so give them a go and let us no what there service is like. I like there mohair and was going to put in an order but Im shipping some in from the US. there are shops on ebay that soley sell weighting but again havent used them. My pellets were from tinkerbell but they took a while soI to am on the lookout for a reguar supplier but today I went to a doll fair close to home and got enough beads to last me for a bit. The trouble with mail order stuffing is you pay more than the value of goods in postage its a bummer. Tarnia
buttercupbabies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby mcdaid81 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:43 pm

Yeah i know, thats whats sooo annoying, if i could afford to id buy loads in one go to save on postage, but i think ill test the waters first and then as i get more into it and know what im doing and what i want lol ill buy in bulk :)
xsxsx
mcdaid81
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Body Construction.